Capital Gains and Losses

Capital Gains Tax Questions? Ask a Tax Advisor for Answers ASAP

In 1998 on bought a business in a stock sale for

Customer Question
In 1998 on bought...

In 1998 on bought a business in a stock sale for $640,000.00. In 2013 I sold the business for $1,250,000.00 in a stock sale. The new owner made monthly payments until January of 2018 in which they paid me off in a lump sum of $965,000.00. Can I substract the difference of what I paid against $965,000.00 and pay the difference of 325,000.00 in capital gains?

Accountant's Assistant: I love the idea of making big money with investments, but there are so many things that could go wrong. The Accountant will be able to help you. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

I bought a business in 1998 in stock purchase for $640,000.00. I sold the business in 2013 in a stock sale for $1,250,000.00 in which the new owner made monthly payments until January of 2018 in which they paid the lump sum of $965,000.00 . Can I only pay capital gains on the difference of the $640,000.00 against the $965,000.00 ?

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Capital Gains and Losses
3/31/2018
Tax Expert: levr, Tax Advisor replied 3 months ago
levr
levr, Tax Advisor

I assuming that the "stock sale" - means - you sold shares in your corporation.

Then - you should report that sale on your tax return for the year of sale - 2013.

Your total gain on an installment sale is generally the amount by which the selling price of the property you sold exceeds your adjusted basis in that property.

As that was your installment sale agreement...

Under the installment method, you include in income each year only part of the gain you receive, or are considered to have received. You don't include in income the part of the payment that's a return of your basis in the property. Use Form 6252.pdf, Installment Sale Income, to report an installment sale in the year the sale occurs and for each year you receive an installment payment.

So - every year you received payments - a part of the gain will be recognized and reported on form 6252 - and only that pat will be included into that year taxable income.

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.I am here to help you with all Social Security / Tax related issues