Capital Gains and Losses

Capital Gains Tax Questions? Ask a Tax Advisor for Answers ASAP

How would a return on Capital be treated? Interest income to…

How would a return on...
How would a return on Capital be treated? Interest income to recipient?
3/26/2018
Carter McBride
Carter McBride, Professor
Hey! I'm Carter, I'm a CPA.
Return on capital is not taxed, unless it's a distribution that is in excess of basis. If it's in excess of basis, it is a long term capital gain.
Let me know if you need anything else. If not, please leave a rating. Thanks!
Let’s say I invested $85K into an LLC. Someone else purchased my interest this year and I received my $85K back plus additional $10k. How do I treat this?
That would be a capital gain.
You would need to calculate your basis if it's an S Corp or partnership. And your gain is your proceeds less basis.
If it's a disregarded LLC, then your gain is $10,000, long term capital.
How does LLC deduct $10k so to speak?
It’s a partnership
The LLC does not do anything. You would handle it on your personal taxes.
What does LLC code check to that was written to shareholder
That's a distribution.
What are preferred returns of capital?
You would need some kind of preferred preference where the investor gets their initial investment back along with a set percentage return on their investment before any of the other investors get a penny.
That’s what happened here. So the original investor put in $85k and was owed $10k on the preferred return of capital. Another investor bought him out and paid him the $85k and $10k preferred return. Does this get adjusted through new investors capital account? And to refer to what you said above the $10k would be reported by shareholder on their personal 1040 as long term capital gain?
That would all be done outside the partnership. You'll do a final K-1 for the partner and zero out his capital account for year end. That partner will calculate his basis and report a gain or loss on Schedule D of his 1040. If the partnership has hot assets you also need to file Form 8308.
hot assets?
Unrealized receivables or inventory. Basically anything that would be reported as ordinary income sometime in the future of the partnership.
They do have receivables. A lot actually. No inventory though.
If they're accrual based, then it won't be a hot assets, if they're cash based, they would be
What do you mean by accrual based vs. cash based in regards ***** ***** accounts receivable?
These are complicated. Check this article out on hot assets and it should explain what they are pretty well
https://www.cengage.com/resource_uploads/static_resources/0324304838/6668/definitions-11.html
Thanks and YES complicated. The receivables are from funding. They front an individual $ and then will receive that money back plus a fee. Which will produce ordinary income. So I am thinking Form 8308 will be needed here?
Yea sounds like it. Plus it's just a reporting form, so no harm in doing it.
I HAVE NEVER DONE THIS FORM BEFORE... IS IT DIFFICULT TO FILL OUT?

It's not hard at all.

Wanna do it for me lol?
just looked at the form. so no numbers go on this form just the original owner and new owners info?
On the K-1 for the partner who was bought out (mentioned above)... his beginning ownership would be lets say 10% and then his ending is 0% with no activity except the capital account?

Yea. The forms easy to do.

Yea, that's fine on the K-1 too.

Carter McBride
Carter McBride, Professor
Thanks. May I bug you again if needed?

of course!