Capital Gains and Losses

Capital Gains Tax Questions? Ask a Tax Advisor for Answers ASAP

My wife's father died and we inherited and sold his house…

Customer Question
My wife's father died...

My wife's father died and we inherited and sold his house the was held in trust. We will have $25,000 in capital gains reported to use for the tax year 2018. We get our heath care from the marketplace with a PTC. This capital gains will put us over the 400% level for assistance. Can we reinvest this capital gain so it will not show as adjusted gross income?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

That is all

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Capital Gains and Losses
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/22/2018
Tax Expert: CGassist.168, Accountant replied 3 months ago
CGassist.168
CGassist.168, Accountant

Hello. Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. My name is***** will be assisting you. I am prepping my response, which I will provide to you in the next thread(s).

-------------------------------

Note that telephone calls and other solicitations are automatically generated by the site, not the experts. If you are not interested, simply decline.

Still typing...

In brief, reinvesting the capital gains is not an option. If you have incurred a gain, then you will need to pay the capital gains tax. In order to determine the true gain amount you start with the cost basis (FMV of property on the date of death). If you sold the house for more than the FMV, a gain was occurred. If for less, a loss was occurred. If you calculated the gain correctly, then you will just have to pay the capital gains tax.

--------------------------------------

In closing, my goal is to provide you with the best experience possible! Hopefully, the service that I have provided has earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. Thank you in advance. If you require further assistance, use the reply box and let me know.