Capital Gains and Losses

Capital Gains Tax Questions? Ask a Tax Advisor for Answers ASAP

I am looking into selling my IAG shares with ‘Sell my

Customer Question
Thank you. I am...

Thank you. I am looking into selling my IAG shares with ‘Sell my Shares’ online. They are unable to help me with the information regarding Capital Gains tax. My question is, how do I find out how much this will be and how do I pay it? Many thanks, Jan.

Accountant's Assistant: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the Accountant's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require). I love the idea of making big money with investments, but there are so many things that could go wrong. The Accountant will be able to help you. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

I am retired and am receiving a State Super pension. I have had these IAG shares since the NRMA gave its members shares.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Capital Gains and Losses
3/22/2018
Tax Expert: ABC Accounting Group, Business Consultant/CPA replied 1 month ago
ABC Accounting Group
ABC Accounting Group, Business Consultant/CPA

Hi. Great Question. I can give you an estimate of the gains and what the tax would be. Just need some information - when did you buy the shares?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hey, thank you. I did send a message after sending my questions.
I do not wish to become a member and pay monthly fees so I assumed that I could not have my questions answered.
I asked that you only take the $5 deposit from my card please.
If I am able to just receive answers for this particular issue and pay only up to $100 for your answers, please let me know.
Regards Jan.
Tax Expert: ABC Accounting Group, Business Consultant/CPA replied 28 days ago

Yes - I can help you. You are not required to be a member. I will send you a premium service offer.

Just need some information - when did you buy the shares?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Hey, as far as I can tell I bought the shares in 2000. As an NRMA member I received my initial shares free and also bought an additional $500 worth. I have also reinvested the dividends. My total shares as at 9 October 2017 was 2,374.
Many thanks, Jan.
Is this in the U.S.? Thank you.
Customer reply replied 18 days ago
Hey, no I live in Sydney, Australia. I have just received my Dividend Statement as at 21 February 2018 and now have 2,415 shares.
Many thanks Jan.
Tax Expert: ABC Accounting Group, Business Consultant/CPA replied 18 days ago

Hi. I will opt out and transfer this over to an Australia finance/tax expert. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 13 days ago
Hey, I have not as yet heard from anyone here in Australia, please let me know when this might happen.
ABC Accounting Group
ABC Accounting Group