Capital Gains and Losses

Capital Gains Tax Questions? Ask a Tax Advisor for Answers ASAP

Are RSU stocks short or term? I read some where that they…

Are RSU stocks short or...
Are RSU stocks short or long term? I read some where that they should be considered short term, but on the 1099, the broker house (E*trade) listed them under Long-Term.Please don't give Lev to answer my question.
3/20/2018
Carter McBride
Carter McBride, Professor

Hey! I'm Carter, I'm a CPA and can help you out.

RSU's are ordinary income when you get the stock (which increases your basis in the stock). The day you get it starts your holding period. If you hold it longer than a year and sell the stock, it will still get the long-term tax treatment.

Let me know if you need anything else. If not, please leave a rating. Thanks!

Carter McBride
Carter McBride, Professor
I got a little confused because RSU have a grant date and a vested date. So the grant date determines the basis, but the capital gains treatment is based on the vested date.