Capital Gains and Losses

Capital Gains Tax Questions? Ask a Tax Advisor for Answers ASAP

I am doing my taxes for 2017 Question 1) I use a tax

I am doing my taxes...
I am doing my taxes for 2017Question 1) I use a tax software website to do taxes and while we enter information their system asks : "Did you receive a state or local refund for the 2016 tax year or Form 1099-G with an amount in Box 2? "
So for this, I enter the refund amount I received in 2017, which was actually for 2016 (for estimated taxes I had paid in 2016) correct?Question 2) Also is there a phone number requirement for efiling? I ask because they ask this on their system, but at the same time I know they allow foreign filing, and the phone number fields there supports only US phone number without country code. Well, I still keep my US phone number but now my main number is ***** foreign number. I will ask them too, they are closed now, but asking you too, if it is ok. Or, the online filing I do with their online system on their website doesnt mean efiling and efiling is only something you do for free in IRS website?
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/17/2018
bkb1956
bkb1956, Enrolled Agent/Real Estate & Corporate Paralegal

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

As to Question 1, the state refund received in 2017 (for tax year 2016) that was reported on Form 1099-G gets reported as income IF you itemized (used Schedule A) in 2016. If you did not itemize in 2016, do not include the amount in your 2017 income.

As to Question 2, your phone number is ***** of the information you provide. What tax software program are you using?

Thank you.

I looked at the draft printout and as you said, although the system asks for it, it did not include that amount anytwhere in the calculation of my income so I think it is ok, I also sent them a question.
I use tax slayer. First it asks my adress and phone, and any phone number is ***** there. Then, somehwere else it asks for a phone number but it is only in a US phone number format, it doesnt allow country code. Well fortunately I have not abandoned my US phone number yet , although I can only check my voice mails remotely for it. So that is a problem? I wil choose to receive notifications by email anyway.

If the state refund is not included in your income, you probably didn't itemize (use Schedule A) in 2016.

Using your US phone is fine if that is all TaxSlayer will allow.

for phone number, must I be able to receive sms to it? I can only receive VM but in the past I was getting email notifications anyway even when I was in the US. I can only get VM to my US phone number now

If TaxSlayer asks if you want messages to the phone, answer no.

Let them communicate with you by email.

bkb1956

Thank you for the positive rating of my answer. It is very much appreciated.

Have a great weekend!