Capital Gains and Losses

Capital Gains Tax Questions? Ask a Tax Advisor for Answers ASAP

I live in state, I bought a home for $235K and sold it 19…

I live in Washington...

I live in Washington state, I bought a home for $235K and sold it 19 months later for $275K. My joint income with my wife is $144K for 2017. Do I have to pay Capital gains tax on my house I sold?

3/12/2018
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi. My name’s Lane.

...

I hold a law degree, with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986.

Bear with me just a moment.

I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply.

...

I'll post that in just a few moments. Then, let me know if you have further questions on this.

No, as long as you meet the IRS test for primary residence (having lived in the home for any 24 months out of the 5 years before the sale, up to $500,000 of capital gain is excluded from income taxation.

ok, but I only lived there for 19 months?

Sorry, missed the 19 month piece.

...

You don't qualify.

...

HOWEVER there CAN be a prorated exemption of you moved becasue of an unforeseen circumstance.

...

Bear with me and let me pull up the regs ...

Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Phone call session started