Capital Gains and Losses

Capital Gains Tax Questions? Ask a Tax Advisor for Answers ASAP

I am selling a rental property that I bought in 1981 with a…

I am selling a...

I am selling a rental property that I bought in 1981 with a partner the total cost was $90,000. We each took 50% of depreciation over the years and then I bought out the partner in 2009 for $30,000. I then took depreciation on the new purchase of $30,000. When I sell the property, what is my cost basis? My half of the $90,000 plus the $30,000? And how do I calculate the depreciation recapture?

Accountant's Assistant: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the Accountant's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require). The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

I am selling the property (in escrow now) for $325,000 with selling expenses of $27,000 and improvements of $26,000.I am trying to figure out the taxes I will owe.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/10/2018
TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Preparer

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Thank you

Your basis is the Half you paid plus the $30k plus improvements less the depreciation you claimed ( on your half and then on the additional $30k after you bought the other half).

$45k + 30 + $26k - depreciation you claimed

The partner's depreciation is not relevant.

TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Preparer
Thank you so much!!

You are most welcome and thank you