Capital Gains and Losses

Capital Gains Tax Questions? Ask a Tax Advisor for Answers ASAP

Do I have to pay capital gains on the sale of my home if I…

Customer Question
Do I have to...

Do I have to pay capital gains on the sale of my home if I lived there for 20 years and who is suppose to send me the l099 form

Accountant's Assistant: I love the idea of making big money with investments, but there are so many things that could go wrong. The Accountant will be able to help you. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

This is the first home I have sold, I have not received and 1099 form. I was told there would be not capital gains to pay since I lived in the home more than 5 years. I have not received a 1099 form, don't I need on to file my taxes?

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Capital Gains and Losses
2/6/2018
Tax Expert: Richard, Tax Attorney replied 5 months ago
Richard, Tax Attorney

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Good afternoon. How much did you pay for the house? Was the sale price? Are you married? Thanks.

The house was given to me. Sale price $154,000. I am single

Thank you. You will not owe any taxes. Since this has been your principal residence for the last 5 years, under Section 121 of the Internal Revenue Code you can exclude up to $250,000 of gain from the sale of your principal residence. Thus, since your gain does not exceed $250,000, all your gain would be excluded from income under Section 121. This is a link to that Code section: https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/26/121. But, you will need to file a return and report the sale as a sale of your principal residence; otherwise, the IRS will not know it qualifies as your principal residence and will consider the proceeds reported on the 1099 as all taxable gain.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (i.e., 4 or 5 stars)(hopefully Excellent/5 stars!). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!