Capital Gains and Losses

Capital Gains Tax Questions? Ask a Tax Advisor for Answers ASAP

How much Capitol Gains Tax would I have to pay on $300,000…

Customer Question
How much Capitol Gains...

How much Capitol Gains Tax would I have to pay on $300,000 in Montgomery County Maryland.

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

Sale of rental property with $300,000 profit.

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

The present profit is mostly from Rollovers involving Stockard exchanges.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Capital Gains and Losses
12/1/2017
Tax Expert: Chad EA, CDFA®, CFP®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER ®, Professional replied 7 months ago
Chad EA, CDFA®, CFP®
Chad EA, CDFA®, CFP®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER ®, Professional

Welcome to JustAnswer! My name is ***** ***** I will be able to assist you today.

Is the $300,000 your total profit after you calculated the cost basis of the property and recovered any depreciation that was allowed or allowable?

The long term capital gains rate are as follows:

For tax payers in the 10 -15% ordinary income tax bracket your long term capital gains rate is 0%

For tax payers in the 25,28,33 and 35% ordinary income tax bracket your LTCG rate is 15%. If your long term capital gains tax rate is 15% then you would owe approximately $45,000 in long term capital gains tax.

If your ordinary income tax bracket is 39.6% then your LTCG rate would be 20% and you would owe $60,000 in long term capital gains tax.

I have you any follow up questions please do not hesitate to ask and I would be happy to answer.

If you have no further questions please take a moment to accept and rate my answer.

A positive rating of five stars or higher is always appreciated.

Thank you!