Capital Gains and Losses

Capital Gains Tax Questions? Ask a Tax Advisor for Answers ASAP

I am a landlord, I wanted to claim depreciation on my

Customer Question
property, I know that I...
I am a landlord, I wanted to claim depreciation on my property, I know that I have to divide the assessed value by 27.5, but do I claim this amount each year, or can I use the new assessed value that is listed on my property tax bill from the city?
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Capital Gains and Losses
11/18/2017
Tax Expert: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 9 months ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi. My name's Lane.

...

Generally, depreciation on your rental property is the based on the original cost of the rental asset less the value of the land (because land is not depreciable). The original cost can include various expenses related to the purchase of the property.

...

If you make a capital improvement to the rental property, you will depreciate it using the same useful life of the underlying property. If you don't know the original house and land separate costs, you can use the percentage of house and land to total value listed on your property tax bill to allocate the original cost.

...

If you converted from a property simply help for investment but not in rental service, or say you converted your home to rental, its starting point for basis for depreciation is the lower of (1) the adjusted basis on the date of conversion, or (2) the property’s fair market value (FMV) at the time of conversion (Regs. Sec. 1.168(i)-4(b)).