Capital Gains and Losses

Capital Gains Tax Questions? Ask a Tax Advisor for Answers ASAP

Second opinion] I have moved from Oregon to California

during this tax year. How...
Second opinion] I have moved from Oregon to California during this tax year. How will my capital gains be taxed at the State level? Is it just determined by which State where I'm claiming residency at the time of realizing the gain, or is there the opportunity to allocate the gain between the States? Obviously there is advantage in having the gain taxed in the lower tax State.
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/15/2017
Chad EA, CFP ®
Chad EA, CFP ®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER TM, Professional

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be able to assist you today.

When you complete your Federal tax return you will also need to complete two state returns along with the dates you lived in each state.

As you mentioned, you pay capital gains tax in the state you resided in when the transaction was completed that caused the capital gains.

I do understand California's capital gains tax is the highest in the country.

I would be happy to answer any follow up questions you may have.

At the conclusion of our conversation please take a moment to accept the answer by rating the answer with three stars or more.

A positive rating of five stars is always appreciated.

Thank you!

Chad EA, CFP ®
Got it. Thanks.

Thank you for the rating.

Have a great day

Chad EA, CFP ®
Chad EA, CFP ®