Capital Gains and Losses

Capital Gains Tax Questions? Ask a Tax Advisor for Answers ASAP

Are the gains on non-arms length sale of common shares in a…

Customer Question
Are the gains on...

Are the gains on non-arms length sale of common shares in a private company taxable as capital gains?

Accountant's Assistant: I love the idea of making big money with investments, but there are so many things that could go wrong. The Accountant will be able to help you. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

The Uncle sold his shares (49% of all O/S shares) to his nephew for again of $49,000. on January 31, 2017 in Alberta. The shares are in a construction company. The other 51% of the o/s shares are all owned by the nephew's father.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Capital Gains and Losses
10/17/2017
Tax Expert: levr, Tax Advisor replied 8 months ago
levr
levr, Tax Advisor

We need to verify if such sale is classified as a sale to a related party...

In this case a “bargain” element on such sale would be classified as a gift and will trigger gift tax obligations.

Otherwise of the gain realized on the sale of a depreciable property might be treated as ordinary income.

Because shares are not depreciable - the gain will be long term capital gain assuming shared were held more than a year.

Let me know if you need any further help.