Capital Gains and Losses

Capital Gains Tax Questions? Ask a Tax Advisor for Answers ASAP

If I were to leave my 2 children and my husband (now

Customer Question
deceased) 1 million dollars, divided...
If I were to leave my 2 children and my husband (now deceased) 1 million dollars, divided equally how would the inheritance tax affect them?
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Capital Gains and Losses
9/8/2017
Tax Expert: levr, Tax Advisor replied 11 months ago
levr
levr, Tax Advisor

There is NO inheritance tax on the federal level...

Still we have estate taxes - paid by the estate not heirs,

but the estate tax exemption in 20917 is $5,490,000 - so only large estates are subject to estate tax.

While inheritance is NOT subject to income tax - specifically excluded by the statute,

Some income might be classified as IRD - income in respect of the decedent.

For instance if you inherited tax deferred retirement account - the distribution is taxable as if it were received by the decedent .

.

Please be aware that some states do have additional estate and/or inheritance tax - that is based on the residency of the deceased - not where beneficiaries are living.

Please let me know where the deceased were living - and I will verify state tax law for you.