How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MyVirtualCPA Your Own Question
MyVirtualCPA, Accountant
Category: Capital Gains and Losses
Satisfied Customers: 16580
Experience:  CPA with tax experience ready to help you with your capital gains and loss questions
Type Your Capital Gains and Losses Question Here...
MyVirtualCPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Selling some minerals in Oklahoma that I inherited 6 years

Customer Question

Selling some minerals in Oklahoma that I inherited 6 years ago wit less than $5,000. Total value. Now they have offered me $150,000.I retired in 2016 @ age 65 now 66. 2018 will be my first full year of retirement above age 66. Or can I pass this on to a grandchild
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Capital Gains and Losses
Expert:  MyVirtualCPA replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you today :-)

Expert:  MyVirtualCPA replied 1 month ago.

If you gift the mineral rights to your grandchild-- but if they sell it, they will have your basis in the rights ($5K) and have to pay the capital gains tax. Now, if you hold onto them and they inherit it as you pass away, they can take a step up basis and avoid capital gains tax; if you are wanting to sell now, it doesn't really help you avoid tax either way. Unfortunately, you would have to leave it to them in your will.

I wish I had better news for you. Please let me know if you need anything additional. If not, please rate positive.