Matthew Breecher
Matthew Breecher, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Director
37297873

Received "Final K-1" forms from Boston Capital Tax Credit

Customer Question

Received "Final K-1" forms from Boston Capital Tax Credit Fund II Series 14 and Series 9. How do I calculate my adjusted basis in these?
Category: Capital Gains and Losses
Expert:  Matthew Breecher replied 5 months ago.

Hello, I would like to help you with your question. Could you expand a little bit on your question. For instance, I am assuming this is a partnership? If so, your capital account should be on your K-1, Section L. This is your basis before liquidation. As you stated this was the "final" K-1, has there been a liquidation?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
it's a partnership and the bot***** *****ne in Section L of the Final K-1 lists the ending capital account value to be "$0.00". And, a note on the reverse side of the K-1 sheet says, "In 2016, the partnership disposed of its interest in its eight remaining operating partnership investments". There's also this note of caution that's been included in every K-1:
"PARTNER'S CAPITAL ACCOUNT ANALYSIS - ITEM L. THIS IS A SUMMARY OF THE ACTIVITY IN YOUR CAPITAL
ACCOUNT. IT IS NEITHER AN INDICATION OF THE FAIR MARKET VALUE OF YOUR INVESTMENT NOR OF
THE PARTNERSHIP'S ASSETS."
Also, FYI, Section L of this 2016 Final K-1 lists the Beginning capital account as a negative amount and a Current year increase of exactly enough $$ to create the bot***** *****ne I said earlier was $0.00One more comment: My above use of "it" and "a" lie. As mentioned in my introductory message, there are TWO investments -- one mine, one my wife"s -- both Boston Capital Tax Credit Fund II but one is "Series 9", the other "Series 14". What I've said above applies to each.

It sounds like your basis is zero based on the facts communicated. If your previous equity was negative, you probably had a loss that you reported in the prior year. As you current year is zero, they recorded just enough profit to clear the partnership capital accounts. I would assume there was some income then reported on your partnership K-1 in the current year?

I hope I answered your question with sufficient detail, accuracy, and completeness based on the facts communicated. I would be happy to expand my answer should you need clarification. Accordingly, please rate my response, based on thoroughness and accuracy, rather than any good or bad news/content. We (the experts) are only compensated when an answer is accepted and rated with at least 3 stars; but my goal is your complete satisfaction and a 5 star rating. I appreciate your prompt response. Sincerely, ***** ***** Breecher, CPA.