Capital Gains and Losses

Capital Gains Tax Questions? Ask a Tax Advisor for Answers ASAP

Capital Gains and Losses

Scenario: Sole proprietor gifted 20% of the business assets

Customer Question
to daughter on 9/30/1993. On...
Scenario: Sole proprietor gifted 20% of the business assets to daughter on 9/30/1993. On October 1, 1993 the sole proprietorship became a C-Corporation with the same business assets and the daughter became a 20% shareholder. When assets were established in the corporation, the paid in capital account was set at, say, $400,000. I therefore assume the daughter has basis of $80,000 in her shares ($400K X 20%). In 2016 the father (or possibly the C-Corporation) is buying the daughters shares for, say, $70,000.
My assumption is that the daughter has a non-deductible loss of $10,000 on the sale on her 2016 tax return. Can you please confirm my assumption is correct?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Capital Gains and Losses
9/9/2016
Tax Expert: Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant replied 1 year ago
Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant

Hi, my name is Mark. I will be happy to help you with your question. Please give me a few moments to prepare your response.

The basis in the stock would have been the Fair Market Value of the property at the time that it was contributed to the C-Corporation. The journal entry to record the contribution of the property would have credited the Capital Stock and Additional Paid in Capital Account. Your assumption of taking 20% of the additional paid in capital is correct. You would also take 20% of the Capital Stock account as well. It sounds like you would have a loss on the sale. The loss would be deductible. Please give me a few more moments.

I believe that you would have a section 1244 stock loss. Section 1244 of the tax code allows for losses from the sale of small domestic corporation to be deducted as a ordinary loss instead of a capital loss up to $50,000 ($100,000 if married). I see why you are saying that this would be a non-deductible loss due to a related party transaction.

I hope you found this information to be beneficial. If this answered your question please take a few moments to rate my response. A rating is needed in order for me to receive credit for helping you today. The rating bar is located at the top of the page – ranging from 1 to 5 stars. If you need me to clarify aspect of my response or if there are additional areas of the question that you would like me to consider please let me know. I would be happy to continue the discussion. It has been my pleasure helping you today.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay thank you Mark. I believe you have confirmed what I thought was the case and thank you for alerting me to the ability to deduct the loss in spite of the related party issue.

No, you are correct that the loss is non-deductible because of the related party issue. I am sorry I did not consider that aspect before I mentioned the 1244 loss.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's all good, thank you Mark.

I was happy to help . Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor