How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bkb1956 Your Own Question
bkb1956, Enrolled Agent/Real Estate & Corporate Paralegal
Category: Capital Gains and Losses
Satisfied Customers: 3812
Experience:  20+ years of experience as a tax preparer; 30+ years of experience as a real estate and corporate paralegal
Type Your Capital Gains and Losses Question Here...
bkb1956 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mother in law has stock in a company that went public in

Customer Question

my mother in law has stock in a company that went public in 2013 she has been retired and other than va income and ss income in 2015 ( less than 35000 has not filed tax returns in years. this stock is now worth 500,000 or more if she sells some share what would her tax liability be,
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Capital Gains and Losses
Expert:  bkb1956 replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Your mother-in-law will pay any capital gains tax due on the difference between her basis (what she paid for the stock) and the sales price. For example, if she paid $200,000 for the stock and it sells for $500,000, she will pay capital gains tax on $300,000. Capital gains are taxed at a lower rate than regular income. The capital gains tax rates range from 0% to 20% vs. the ordinary income tax rate 10% to 39.60%.

The 2016 capital gains tax rates can be found at the following link:

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,


Expert:  bkb1956 replied 1 year ago.

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions or concerns. If so, please let me know, and I will be happy to assist you further.

Best regards,