How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Preparer
Category: Capital Gains and Losses
Satisfied Customers: 15733
Experience:  15+ years in Tax preparartion as well as Instructor for tax law, theory, and application
Type Your Capital Gains and Losses Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can you take the loss on the sale of a replacement property

Customer Question

Can you take the loss on the sale of a replacement property that was originally acquired in a 1031 Exchange ?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Capital Gains and Losses
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.


Structuring the disposition or sale of any investment property as a 1031 exchange will require that the income tax consequence be deferred whether it is a gain or loss.

The loss on a sale is allowed even if the property was acquired in a 1031 Exchange.

When you do a 1031 exchange your basis from the Old Property rolls over to the New. The Old basis is modified slightly if you buy-up, but not if you buy-down.

If there is a true loss after applying the correct basis for the replacement property then the loss is allowed.