Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Have been providing Financial and Tax advice for 30 years.Concentration in Corporations, Estate, Income Tax and Business Planning
1929974

In 2013 the tax service I use made an error by listing a

Customer Question

In 2013 the tax service I use made an error by listing a $50,000 LT capital loss that had occured in an IRA. I recently was informed by a friend that you can't declare an IRA loss unless you close out all of your IRA accts.
Can I file an Amended Tax return for 2013 that would remove the $50,000 loss or would the IRS say that at the time the 2013 returned was filed the tax became due on the other IRA accts.?
Category: Capital Gains and Losses
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

...

Yes, you NEED to file the amended return.

...

And no, unless there was some sort of withdrawal, there was no taxable event at all (on that IRA or the others)

...

You'll get a 1099-R for reporting taxable distributions from IRAs

...

The reason you can't take a TAX loss on the IRA is that you have no basis in the IRA (if this is all pre-tax money - tax deductions for the IRA contributions - OR rolled from an all pre-tax 401k).

...

You'll have less distribution to pay tax on once distributed, but a loss in an all -re-tax, where the income going into the IRA has never been taxed, is not a taxable event - you already got that benefit when you didn 't have to pay tax on the money going INTO the IRA.

...

Now, if some of this was non-deductible (say you contributed to the IRA and had no tax deduction) then the business about taking a loss upon distributing everything would be correct (bot only to the extent of the part that is after tax, non-deductible, money)

...

But again, yes, amending the return is what you should do here

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have any questions at all.

...

If this HAS helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the faces or stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

I know it takes an extra step, but JustAnswer won’t credit us for the work until you rate.

...

Thank you!

Lane

I have a law degree, with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in finance & tax, as well as CFP® and CRPS designations. - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, both for-profit and non-profit, and tax advice on three continents, since 1986