How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask R. Klein, EA Your Own Question
R. Klein, EA
R. Klein, EA, Enrolled Agent
Category: Capital Gains and Losses
Satisfied Customers: 263
Experience:  Over 20 Years experience in resolving tough tax cases
Type Your Capital Gains and Losses Question Here...
R. Klein, EA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm going to retire in August. I have my primary residence

Customer Question

I'm going to retire in August. I have my primary residence in Virginia. I have a second home in Maryland that is worth more. If I sell my second home in Maryland at a loss or break even, do I pay tax on the proceeds after the mortgage is paid off? Should I change my residence to the Maryland home for a few years before I sell it? I will be 66 years old this month. Thank you
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Capital Gains and Losses
Expert:  levr replied 1 year ago.

There is NO income tax on proceeds.

Income taxes are applied ONLY to the gain.

The gain will be calculated on your tax return as (selling price) MINUS (adjusted basis) MINUS (selling expenses)

Your basis is generally the original purchase price.

The basis is adjusted by improvements and some other items.

That gain is added to other taxable income.

If there is NO gain - nothing is added.


Related Capital Gains and Losses Questions