How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stephen G. Your Own Question
Stephen G.
Stephen G., Financial Advisor
Category: Capital Gains and Losses
Satisfied Customers: 7195
Experience:  Senior Tax Expert; CPA/PFS(retired)Personal Financial Planner; Small Business & Professional Mergers & Acquisitions
Type Your Capital Gains and Losses Question Here...
Stephen G. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I bought investment real estate in 2002 and sold it in 2015

Customer Question

I bought investment real estate in 2002 and sold it in 2015 at a $5,000 loss.
The property was never rented. I claimed no income or expense during this time.
What form do I report this on as the IRS received a 1099S for the sell proceeds?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Capital Gains and Losses
Expert:  Stephen G. replied 1 year ago.
You report the transaction on Form 8949.Long Term Capital Loss.
Expert:  Stephen G. replied 1 year ago.
Just checking in.............Do you have any follow-up questions?If not, please remember to rate my response as that is the only way we receive credit for our work.Thanks very much,Steve g.