How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask PDtax Your Own Question
PDtax, CPA firm owner
Category: Capital Gains and Losses
Satisfied Customers: 4518
Experience:  Tax professional and business consultant for 34 years
Type Your Capital Gains and Losses Question Here...
PDtax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I sold my portion of a construction company in March, 2015.

Customer Question

I sold my portion of a construction company in March, 2015. The payout was 25% at time of sale, and $ 22,000.00 every month for 10 years. Is the company supposed to send me a W-2 or something for tax purposes?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Capital Gains and Losses
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

Hi from Just Answer. I'm PDtax. I'll assist.

You won't get a W-2 for this, since you sold your ownership interest. You might have gotten one for the three months you worked there, but it's also possible no W-2 is coming.

You should have gotten a 1099-int for the interest portion of the sale received by you in 2015. Not a big deal if they didn't, there is a small penalty they would have to pay if IRS ever came by asking about it. No problem for you.

You should have a calculation of the capital gain, and interest, for your payments, and you will report your taxes via 6252, installment sale, and interest on Schedule B, Form 1040.

I hope that covers things. If so, please accept my response and rate my assistance to close out your question. I'm PDtax.