How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CGassist.168 Your Own Question
CGassist.168, Accountant
Category: Capital Gains and Losses
Satisfied Customers: 3476
Experience:  Tax Accountant
Type Your Capital Gains and Losses Question Here...
CGassist.168 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do you file a capital loss

Customer Question

how do you file a capital loss
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Capital Gains and Losses
Expert:  CGassist.168 replied 1 year ago.

You use the Form 8949 and the Schedule D. Note that you will only be allowed to claim $3,000 of the loss annually. Any remain balance of the loss gets carried forward to future years. There is not time limit to use the loss. It will exhaust when the loss amount has been all used.

Link to Form 8949:

Link to Schedule D:


An article that might be of interest to you.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance to you regarding this matter. If all is clear, please be so kind as to provide a 3 or more star positive rating so that I can receive credit for assisting you today.