How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask levr Your Own Question
levr, Tax Advisor
Category: Capital Gains and Losses
Satisfied Customers: 29800
Experience:  Working for a large tax preparation service
Type Your Capital Gains and Losses Question Here...
levr is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a second home that I purchased 3 years ago in

Customer Question

I have a second home that I purchased 3 years ago in foreclosure in a town about 160 miles away from my permanent residence. I was hired by a company in that town away from my normal residence so I used to live in through the week and then traveled home on weekends. I never rented it out as I was the only person using it. I just switched jobs and will be selling the second place and moving everything back to my primary residence. Do I have to pay capital gains on the sale of the second place?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Capital Gains and Losses
Expert:  levr replied 1 year ago.

The first issue - if you have or expect to have a capital gain.

The gain is calculated as (selling price) MINUS (adjusted basis) MINUS (selling expenses)

The basis is your original purchase price.

That basis is adjusted by improvement and some other expenses)

Expert:  levr replied 1 year ago.

If you realize the gain - then - yes - it will be taxable regardless of the reason you are selling the property.

Only the gain realized from the sale of a primary residence may be excluded.

However because the property is owned more than a year - that will be a long term capital gain taxable at reduced rates.

Let me know if you need any help with reporting.


I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.
If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you with all tax related issues.