How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CGassist.168 Your Own Question
CGassist.168, Accountant
Category: Capital Gains and Losses
Satisfied Customers: 3731
Experience:  Tax Accountant
Type Your Capital Gains and Losses Question Here...
CGassist.168 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have inherited my fathers house in along with my brother

Customer Question

I have inherited my fathers house in Virginia along with my brother and sister. They are both married, but I am single. I have never owned a home. They do own a home. Do I have to pay capital gains tax on my share?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Capital Gains and Losses
Expert:  CGassist.168 replied 1 year ago.

I take it that the home ill be sold. If this is the case, due to the step up in basis, there will likely not be any capital gains.

Step Up In Basis:

The readjustment of the value of an appreciated asset for tax purposes upon inheritance. With a step-up in basis, the value of the asset is determined to be the higher market value of the asset at the time of inheritance, not the value at which the original party purchased the asset.


The cost basis of the property is the FMV of the property at the time of death.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance to you regarding this matter.