How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CGassist.168 Your Own Question
CGassist.168, Accountant
Category: Capital Gains and Losses
Satisfied Customers: 3567
Experience:  Tax Accountant
Type Your Capital Gains and Losses Question Here...
CGassist.168 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

5 yrs ago we sold our home in Massachusetts. purchased a

Customer Question

5 yrs ago we sold our home in Massachusetts.
purchased a home in new Hampshire we lived in for 5yrs,this was a secondary residence as we lived in florida 6 months a year.
3 yrs ago we purchased another home in new Hampshire that we rented out during the summer months.recently we sold both houses totaling $343,000,and bought a house for $350,000 again as a secondary residence.
total profit between the 2 after what we had invested in them comes to $100,000 .
we did not pay any cap gains on the nome we sold in Mass.
our total income from pensions and social security totals $40,000.
what % would we be looking at to pay cap gains ?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Capital Gains and Losses
Expert:  CGassist.168 replied 1 year ago.

Why did you not pay any capital gains on the home sold in Mass? If there is any gain, the tax percentage would likely by 15%. In order to determine your accurate gain or loss, you will calculate the sales for each property sold separately. The home considered your main home may qualify for the home sale exclusion. The 2nd home would not. If there was a gain on the sale of it, capital gains will come into play. For more detailed information relating to the sale of your home(s), you can view the IRS Pub 523.

Link to Pub 523:

Let me know if I can be of further assistance to you regarding this matter.