How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Preparer
Category: Capital Gains and Losses
Satisfied Customers: 15317
Experience:  15+ years in Tax preparartion as well as Instructor for tax law, theory, and application
Type Your Capital Gains and Losses Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How does one compute capital gains on rental housing?

Customer Question

how does one compute capital gains on rental housing?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Capital Gains and Losses
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.


The gain or loss is the difference in the cost (less depreciation and plus the improvements) and the sale price (less costs to sell).

Report the gain or loss on the sale of rental property on Form 4797, Sales of Business Property. Individuals typically use Schedule D (Form 1040), Capital Gains and Losses, together with Form 4797.

The depreciation claimed over the past years is subject to "recapture rules," which means you report some of the gain when you sell the property at ordinary income tax rates and some of the gain at capital gain tax rates.

After you view my response, please post below if you need more information or if you need no further clarification a positive rating is appreciated.
I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate it when you take the extra time!

Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.

Please advise if you need more information