Capital Gains and Losses

Capital Gains Tax Questions? Ask a Tax Advisor for Answers ASAP

Capital Gains and Losses

Bought my home in 1979 ,000 would like to sell it ,00 what

Customer Question
bought my home in 1979...
bought my home in 1979 for 119,000 would like to sell it for 850,00 what capital gains will i have to pay
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Capital Gains and Losses
11/14/2015
Tax Expert: CGassist.168, Accountant replied 2 years ago
CGassist.168
CGassist.168, Accountant

An approximate $731,000 gain without the exclusion. If you meet all of the requirements, you will be able to exclude either $250,000, if filing single or $500,000 if filing jointly and both you and the spouse meet the requirements. Either 15 or 20% capital gains tax, depending upon certain factors. Those factors are as follows;

Cost of qualified improvements, which is added to the cost basis;

Qualifications to exclude a portion of the sales price.

You likely qualify for the sale exclusion. To be sure, refer to the IRS Pub 523 for more details.

Link to IRS Pub 523:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p523.pdf

-------------------------------------

Let me know if I can be of further assistance to you regarding this matter.

CGassist.168
CGassist.168
CGassist.168, Accountant