Capital Gains and Losses

Capital Gains Tax Questions? Ask a Tax Advisor for Answers ASAP

Capital Gains and Losses

I have rental property in Richmond, VA. I m 73 living in NC.

Customer Question
I have rental property in...
I have rental property in Richmond, VA. I m 73 living in NC. Do I have to pay tax. If so how do I reduce the amount. Selling this year $125,000
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Capital Gains and Losses
9/4/2015
Tax Expert: CGassist.168, Accountant replied 2 years ago
CGassist.168
CGassist.168, Accountant

Q1: Do I have to pay tax

A1: If you incur a gain from the sale of the property, yes, you will be required to pay capital gains tax.

Refer to page 4 of the document of the following link (Non-residents section):

http://www.tax.virginia.gov/sites/tax.virginia.gov/files/instructions/income-tax/2014/7632014instructions_1.pdf

-------------------------------------

Q2: If so how do I reduce the amount.

A2: If you do incur a gain, you can reduce the amount of the gain by adding qualified improvement costs to the cost basis.

You will incur a gain if the cost basis, plus the cost of qualified improvements is less than the selling price.

Let me know if you require further assistance with this matter.

CGassist.168
CGassist.168
CGassist.168, Accountant