How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask USTaxAdvising Your Own Question
USTaxAdvising, Accountant
Category: Capital Gains and Losses
Satisfied Customers: 1237
Experience:  Professional in capital gains and finance related questions
Type Your Capital Gains and Losses Question Here...
USTaxAdvising is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do I figure capital gain on on foreclosure?

Customer Question

How do I figure capital gain on on foreclosure?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Capital Gains and Losses
Expert:  USTaxAdvising replied 2 years ago.
Hello, Basically your sales proceeds minus your cost to purchase the home (+any improvements) will be your gain on sale. This may or may not be excludable from taxable income. Generally, if you have lived in the home for two out of the last five years as your primary residence you can exclude up to 250K (or 500K if married filing jointly) of the taxable gain. See some more information here - Next if your mortgage was cancelled you may have Cancellation of Indebtedness Income ("COD"). You may also qualify for The Mortgage Forgiveness Debt Relief Act of 2007 where mortgage debt forgiven in connection with a foreclosure may be non taxable. See information here on COD income - I hope this provides the clarity you were looking for. Please let me know if you have any further questions and I will get back to you as soon as I can. Best regards,