How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask R. Klein, EA Your Own Question
R. Klein, EA
R. Klein, EA, Enrolled Agent
Category: Capital Gains and Losses
Satisfied Customers: 263
Experience:  Over 20 Years experience in resolving tough tax cases
Type Your Capital Gains and Losses Question Here...
R. Klein, EA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do I find the basis mutual fund that has been sold

Customer Question

How do I find the basis for a mutual fund that has been sold when the original 'Strong Funds' funds were purchased in June 16, 1992 and Dec. 12,1993. These funds were converted to 'Wells Fargo Funds' when the 'Strong fund' went out of business. Wells Fargo
records only go back to 1995. The funds were sold last year. Isn't there any place where I can get the purchase cost?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Capital Gains and Losses
Expert:  bkb1956 replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you today.Based on my research of various websites that I personally use which offer historical prices for stocks and mutual funds, I was not successful in obtaining a price for “Strong Funds” from 1992/1993.My best advice would be to contact the broker who sold the funds to determine if they can obtain this information. If not, your only alternative would be to use the basis from 1995, which is better than using a basis of zero.Please let me know if I can assist you further.Thank you and best regards,Barb
Expert:  bkb1956 replied 2 years ago.
You were offline when I posted my initial response, and I am now following up with you to see if you have any other questions or concerns. If so, please come back to me here at your convenience, and I will be happy to assist you. If not, please take a moment to rate my answer since that is the only way I receive credit for answering you and alerts Just Answer to compensate me.
Best regards,