How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask NelsonProTax Your Own Question
NelsonProTax, Enrolled Agent
Category: Canada Tax
Satisfied Customers: 695
Experience:  Tax Expert
Type Your Canada Tax Question Here...
NelsonProTax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a question.I just got married but my husband is on

This answer was rated:

Hi .I have a question.I just got married but my husband is on different country .I am an American citizen .I already applied for him and about to do a joint income tax to continue with his paperwork’s.Since he is not here and doesn’t work here how do I do join income tax with him .He works in another country though .By the way it wasn’t any option for US tax so I chooses Canada Tax .Hope it’s similar
Hello I’m Nelson and I’m a Tax and Social Security expert
Does he have a Social Security now?
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
No he doesn’t have yet
Since he married a U.S. citizen, he can be file as a “resident” for tax purposes. Therefore, you and him can file a married joint tax. You will need to include your spouse's worldwide income in your US tax return and it will be subject to US taxes.
Have your spouse apply for a Social Security number at a near US Embassy
You will need either an ITIN or a Social Security number for him
That’s the first step you need to get done
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
We applied for him to get a green card .Right now he is in different country he couldn’t come here .

I apologize for the tardy reply;

Have him go to the nearest U.S. Consulate or U.S. Embassy

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
No we are not in a rush to get Socil security for him .My questing is Can I do join income tax even though my husband is not here and he never worked in US ? But he does work in the other country

Where did you get marry? in the U.S. or abroad?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.

Per IRS regulations, a marriage in a foreign country is valid for U.S. tax purposes.

so, yes, you need to file a joint tax return and he needs to have his Social Security or ITIN even if he does not work or live in the U.S.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Does he need to have a w2 form cuz there is no such thing in that country
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
How they goona apply for w2 form ?

In your case, most likely, you will need to request an extension to file your U.S. tax return until Oct 15th...this way it gives you time for him to request his SSN

what country is he located?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.

I'm researching Tajikistan, please allow me a couple of minutes

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Sure take your time thank you
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I was born there so i know that we don’t have such things

oh ok is there a record of wages, or payments, in his country?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Like what ?
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Wages are too low there .The minimum maybe is like 100$ per month salary
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Or 200$

oh,ok, in this case, do the conversation to dollars and declare the amount when you file the tax return

NelsonProTax and other Canada Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Ok thank you