Canada Tax

Canada tax questions answered by Experts

Canadian law. Can you tell me how the Canadian Government…

Canadian law. Can you tell...
Canadian law. Can you tell me how the Canadian Government figures Capital gains on property sold from an estate?
3/16/2018
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

The way this works is there is a deemed disposition at fair market value for all assets when someone dies.

If the property is not the testator's principle residence the estate pays capital gains tax if the asset appreciated in value from the time the testator acquired it until their death.

The capital gain is the fair market value of the asset at death less what was paid to acquire it less any capital improvements, legal fees, closing fees etc.

1/2 of the gain is included as income for tax purposes in the year of death.

If the estate holds onto the property and it appreciates then when it is sold the gain is the sale price less the price used at the time of death, which is fair market value.

Does that fully answer your question?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Legal Ease
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer