How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bkb1956 Your Own Question
bkb1956, Tax Preparer
Category: Canada Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3608
Experience:  Tax preparer with 18+ years of experience
Type Your Canada Tax Question Here...
bkb1956 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm an Egyptian who worked for Schlumberger Oilfield

Customer Question

JA: Hello. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: I'm an Egyptian who worked for Schlumberger Oilfield Services, a multinational. During my assignments with Schlumberger, I worked for 2 years in Canada, 2006 and 2007. I have not filed tax return for 2007. I would like to do this now. What is the procedure?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: Don't know if any other information is needed. Please let me know if you need more information.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Canada Tax
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
To help assess my case, when I left Canada in December 2007, I did leave behind any belongings. I was renting a town house during my stay in Calgary.
My company was using Deloitte for tax return filing and they helped file tax return for me in 2006. They initially told me I should get about 2000 dollars return, but when the taxes where filed, I got a note that I owe CRA about 450 dollars. (Note: actual amounts are available if needed.)
How can I pay the outstanding amount due? Which form do I need to fill, the 2007 form or 2016 form? Would you be able to help me file for tax return as well, or you can only advise on procedure.
Thank you
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
apologies for typo above .. I did NOT leave any belongings behind in Canada when I left
Expert:  bkb1956 replied 11 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Based on the information you provided, you would have been considered a "deemed resident" of Canada during 2006 and 2007 if

  • You sojourned in Canada for 183 days or more (the 183-day rule) in the tax year, do not have significant residential ties with Canada, and are not considered a resident of another country under the terms of a tax treaty between Canada and that country.

My best advice would be to contact a tax professional who can review your 2006 tax return for accuracy, determine that it was actually filed with CRA, and pay the amount due, if any.

You can then prepare your 2007 return, if necessary.

You would NOT fill out a 2016 tax return.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,