How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lane Your Own Question
Category: Canada Tax
Satisfied Customers: 12037
Experience:  Providing financial and tax advice for 30 years
Type Your Canada Tax Question Here...
Lane is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I seek the assistance or a low income tax expert, I am in

Customer Question

I seek the assistance or a low income tax expert, I am in Saskatchewan Canada and just getting around to doing my 2010-15 taxes for 2010 CRA did an assessment and have seized my bank accounts for alleged money owed, upon completion of 2010, 2011,2012 T1's I have a balance owed, a refund, a small refund which leaves a balance owed still for 2010 , 2013, 2014, and 2015 have no income so there is net zero offset , now in the coffee shop row I was told there are refund benifiets available for low income tax payers, now is this true ? what is the name or number I should have my tax preparer look into? Do I need to show a small amount of income for the 3 years to trigger a benifiet? Please do not provide me with a generic answer like CRA states even if you do not have any income for a taxable year you should still file a return we are well beyond such simple understandings we are in search of a deeper fact of a benifiet that may be of significant use to offset the tax bill.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.



Could this be what you're hearing about?


Employment Insurance (EI) provides regular benefits to individuals who lose their jobs through no fault of their own (for example, due to shortage of work, seasonal or mass lay-offs) and are available for and able to work, but can't find a job.


FROm CRA: "Always apply for EI benefits as soon as you stop working. You can apply for benefits even if you have not yet received your Record of Employment (ROE). If you delay filing your claim for benefits for more than four weeks after your last day of work, you may lose benefits."

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

To receive your EI payments, you must complete and submit reports that usually cover 2 calendar weeks, from Sunday to Saturday. However, if you claim maternity and parental, parents of critically ill children or compassionate carebenefits, you don't have to complete reports.

Our standard way of processing and paying benefits is:

If you cannot transmit your report online or by phone, you must complete and mail a paper report. If you are not receiving your EI payment by direct deposit, here is how you can apply for EI direct deposit.

Shortly after applying for EI, you will receive by mail your Access code. Your access code is the four-digit code printed in the shaded area of your benefit statement. Your access code and your Social Insurance Number (SIN) are required to obtain specific information on your EI claim.

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

How to complete your report

The following information will help you complete both sides of your report:

  • Use a pen or pencil to complete in your report but do not use a red ink pen or red lead pencil;
  • Complete and return your report on the date shown on it to ensure prompt payment of benefits, see side 2 of the Sample paper report under the signature- the "do not sign before" date. The reporting period is usually 2 weeks and is shown above box A, see Side 2 " 1st week - 2nd week";
  • After you complete the report, read the "I declare" statement at the top of Side 2. Sign and date your report and mail it back to us in the return envelope, unless your EI agent asked you to do otherwise;
  • If your claim is new you will receive 2 reports. The "do not sign before" dates on Side 2, under the signature, will be different on each report. However, both reports should be sent back at the same time on or after the latest date shown and in the same envelope.
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

I'm attaching a sample completed report

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

Where to send your report

In case you lost your return envelope, here is a list of mailing addresses.

Mailing address for returning reports

Manitoba, Alberta, Nunavut, Saskatchewan, North West Territories, British Columbia and Yukon Territory

Service Canada
Employment Insurance Program
PO Box 2100
Vancouver, BC V6B 3T4


Service Canada
Employment Insurance Program
PO Box 4500
Belleville, ON K8N 5C1


Service Canada
Employment Insurance Program
PO Box 60
Boucherville, QC J4B 5E6

New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island

Service Canada
Employment Insurance Program
PO Box 6080
Moncton, NB E1C 0A7

Newfoundland and Labrador

Service Canada
Employment Insurance Program
P.O. Box 8548
St. John's, NL A1B 3P3

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have not had a job for over 15 years and as an employee of the limited companies I controlled was exempt from paying EI premiums as controlling officers of a limited company are not eligible to collect EI benifiets

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

CRA did an assessment for 2010 and calculate I owe them over $10,000 they have sieze my bank accounts and upon completion of t1 for 2010 I owe only $6,000 plus 2011 a refund of $3,000 and 2012 id a few hundred bucks refund and with no income reported for 13,14,0r 15 they are at nill the question is should I report some income to trigger a better tax refund for those years as to reduce amount owed ? I know it is better to fill correct info rather than do it after the fact and I am in no hurry to submit my returns if there are possible benifiets to be received.I know most of you have the best interest of CRA in mind when considering these question however you need to consider who is paying here me the question asker or CRA so please do not waste our time telling me to file my returns any ways.


Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

I'll opt out and see of others can help... I cannot tell you to do something other than report correctly.


That would jeopardize MY licenses and my professional designations


Don't respond ... That will just force me to come back and extend the time beofre somsone may pick this up