How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Ease Your Own Question
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Category: Canada Tax
Satisfied Customers: 99447
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Tax Question Here...
Legal Ease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I use an online service to get copyright settlements from

Customer Question

Hello! I use an online service to get copyright settlements from infringing parties for the photos I publish online. I was wondering if this was tax applicable or not, and if it is, which form I would use to declare it. Typically, these matters are settled by lawyers out of court via negotiations. So far, all matters were settled in the United States. The service I use is in the United States as well. I am a permanent canadian resident.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Tax
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
The settlements would be treated as income as they are in lieu of regular income that these offenders would be paying you to licence your intellectual property.Let me know if you need any further clarification.