Canada Tax

Canada Tax Questions Answered by Experts

Canada Tax

Canadian Tax Questions - I have a few questions Canadian

Customer Question
Canadian Tax Questions - I...
Canadian Tax Questions - I have a few questions for a Canadian friend of mine that he needs answered. The first two questions are below but I believe he has a few others as well.1. How far back can the Canadian government do a personal audit?2. In the years of 1999, 2000, 2001 I can't remember if I claimed all income, can I be audited that far back?Any help is appreciated.Thank you
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Canada Tax
3/24/2016
Canadian Tax Expert: Legal Ease, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer

In most cases the audit cannot go back more than 4 years.

And in fact records do not have to be kept for more than 6 years in most cases.

So an audit would not be done for those years.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello, in regards ***** ***** above. If I was to report $30,000 to $40,000 of income from 15 years ago this year, would there be a penalty for doing so? Basically I may have found that amount that was not claimed from 15 years ago. Would I be charged a yearly interest on that amount if I reported this now?

If you make a voluntary disclosure there would not be penalties.

There would be interest unfortunately.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is there a lawyer / client confidentiality in place in the case of a government audit? Also, is this same confidentiality in
place with my accountant?

There is solicitor client privilege at all times between a lawyer and a client.

There is not the same privilege with an accountant.

So if you need this then see a tax lawyer.

Legal Ease
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer