How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Arthur Rubin Your Own Question
Arthur Rubin
Arthur Rubin, Tax Preparer
Category: Canada Tax
Satisfied Customers: 34
Experience:  Tax preparer with 23 years experience, including US/Canada tax returns.
Type Your Canada Tax Question Here...
Arthur Rubin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Here. looking at justanswer cra tax query, 2006 tax return

Customer Question

hi there, ***** ***** here. looking at justanswer for a cra tax query
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: 2006 tax return was reassessed in 2009 and a bad debt wasn't allowed. suddenly, there was a $27,000 balance due. a dispute was filed.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $39 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Customer: you asked me, not me asking you. I already have my lawyer
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Tax
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

I don't understand what your question is.

I also don't understand when you told the site when you said that you already have your lawyer. Do you have a question for me?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'd been in the middle of typing my question when you'd sent your "$39 deposit" comment. Then, the website switched over to "pay deposit", came back to the "waiting room" and nothing further nor ability to complete my question while "waiting".So... In 2009, CRA re-assessed 2006 tax return and denied a business loss that had been claimed as a deduction (advised on July 31/09 stmt of account). A notice of objection was filed and acknowledged by the CRA (Dec 9/09 - advising they'll be in contact once an officer is assigned). The unpaid amount ($value including penalty and/or interest) in dispute and notice of objection had been referenced in the 2009 thru 2012 Notice of Assessments. The 2013 Notice of Assessment had no reference to it. Since the notice of objection was filed, the only direct communication received from the CRA has been their acknowledgement.From my reading, I more-or-less understand there's a grace period after having filed a notice of objection, then a 10 year "statute of limitations" for debt to the CRA with this period starting (re-starting) from the CRA's last actively to collect the debt. It appears we're going into the 6th year of no activity from the CRA. Am I understanding the situation correctly?Addressing your last comment above:
In regards ***** ***** I was reading a few bits on the JustAnswer website when your chat window opened and I was asked to tell you about my legal issue. As such, you asked me about what I was looking for, then advised "Lawyers generally expect a deposit ... to help with your type of question". In response, I replied that I already had a lawyer. To clarify, not a tax lawyer and I've not posed this question either.Regards
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

I am going to opt out and let another expert take over as I am not sure of the answer.