How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bkb1956 Your Own Question
bkb1956, Tax Preparer
Category: Canada Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3286
Experience:  Tax preparer with 18+ years of experience
Type Your Canada Tax Question Here...
bkb1956 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Canadian income tax. I have 2 sons who are over 18 years old

Customer Question

Canadian income tax. I have 2 sons who are over 18 years old living at home. They both work and pay me for room and board do I need to declare this on my income tax? If so how do I go about doing that?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Tax
Expert:  bkb1956 replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

The Rental income guide (T4036, Page 15) states that if you are renting to a family member at below fair market value, you do not have to report the income, and you cannot claim the expenses.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,


Expert:  bkb1956 replied 1 year ago.

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions or concerns. If so, please come back to me here, and I will be happy to assist you. If not, please take a moment to rate my answer since that is the only way I receive credit for answering you and alerts Just Answer to compensate me for a portion of the fee you previously paid.

Best regards,