How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Senior Tax Advisor
Category: Canada Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15312
Experience:  More than 20 years tax expertise
Type Your Canada Tax Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm a Cdn citizen working and living in Kenya 10 years. When

Customer Question

Hi. I'm a Cdn citizen working and living in Kenya 10 years. When I left Canada I owed money (~$2500). I tried a few times to file but it was always complicated. So I buried it all in the back of my mind, but now I want to deal with it. How should I proceed?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Tax
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.


Your post is a little confusing as you say you left and owe but then you say you tried to file a few times.

If you filed and just did not pay then you can do that now by following the link below

If you truly never filed then you need to do that first. Then you can file a disclosure statement. The disclosure is made on form RC199. If CRA accepts your voluntary disclosure, you may only be charged the taxes owed plus the interest, with no penalties.