How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Canada Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29799
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Canada Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need copies of my Canadian tax return -1977. Is

Customer Question

I need copies of my Canadian tax return for 1972-1977. Is it possible to get these copies?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Canada Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 2 years ago.
There are two basis methods
-- Informal requests
The CRA encourages individuals, businesses, charities, and other groups to consider making informal requests for information such as copies of T1s, T5s, RRSP receipts, information on registered charities, and records of income and deductions for previous tax years.
Go to the CRA Contact us page to find out how to access these and other types of information by using My Account or My Business Account or by calling the CRA directly.
The informal request process is usually easy, fast, and effective.
-- Formal requests
If the information requested is not available informally, submit a formal request.
•Personal information is usually requested under the Privacy Act.
•All other information is requested under the Access to Information Act
•See Your rights under the Access to Information Act and Privacy Act
You can ask for access to information and ask about your private information online or by mail. Sending the same request by different methods (online, mail, fax) will not speed up your application.
Submitting a fraudulent request is a serious offence.
•Send the basic requirements in your letter or completed Form RC378, Access to Information and Personal Information Request Form , along with the necessary items (such as a statement of consent, or the $5 fee for a request under the Access to Information Act).
On-line request - Using the ATIP online request service is a fast, easy, and convenient way to ask for access to information and to ask about your private information. Apply online today.
•For privacy requests, attach proof of identification
Mailing-in request - Mail to the following address:
Director, ATIP Directorate
Canada Revenue Agency
***** 5th Floor
Ottawa ON K1A 0L5
Make sure you include all of the following information with your request:
Basic requirements
•your name
•your signature
•your social insurance number (only for requests that concern your taxes)
•if you are representing someone else or an organization, their name
•the return address where you'd like us to send the reply
•date range, if applicable (for example, "I would like copies of my tax records for the reporting years 2002 to 2004")
•a description of the records you want, such as copies of income tax returns, assessments, reassessments, records that pertain to audits, collections, appeals, etc. Note: The wording of the request should provide enough detail so that an experienced employee of the CRA can identify the records.
•consent – if you are representing another individual, provide a letter, signed by the individual and dated within the last 30 days, authorizing us to discuss with you and disclose their personal information to you as their representative
•$5 application fee (for Access to Information requests only): ◦payable to the “Receiver General for Canada”
◦by cheque or money order when you submit your request by mail
◦by Visa, MasterCard, or American Express credit card, when you submit your request online