How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask rramsook Your Own Question
Category: Canada Tax
Satisfied Customers: 307
Type Your Canada Tax Question Here...
rramsook is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a CanadXXXXX XXXXXving in the United States. I have some investments

Resolved Question:

I am a CanadXXXXX XXXXXving in the United States. I have some investments in Canada that earn less than $5000. annually in interest and tax is automatically withdrawn on any gains.
I also earned about $2000. as a coach for one of Canada's national teams. Should I be filing a tax return?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Canada Tax
Expert:  rramsook replied 4 years ago.

Hello welcome to Just Answer.
If your annual worldwide income is less than the amount that is required a US income tax return which is $9,750, then you are not required to file a tax return.
Category: Canada Tax
Satisfied Customers: 307
rramsook and other Canada Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

This doesn't make any sense to me. Grammar isn't correct and I don't know what it means. Does it mean if I earned more than $9750 in the US or does it mean $9750 in Canadian. I pay US income tax and I certainly make more than $9750 in the US. If I earned less than $9750 in my Canadian investments plus my work with the Can. Nat. team does that mean I don't have to pay tax in Canada?

Very confusing, so please be more explicit.

Expert:  rramsook replied 4 years ago.
Sorry for any confusion. I am not familiar with Canada tax law. My answer was referring to requirements for filing a US tax return. If your question is directed towards filing a Canadian tax return, I will opt out of this question so another expert may answer. Thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

When will another individual (expert) be getting me an answer?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The individual supposedly helping me out doesn't know Canadian Tax Law but that is what this is supposed to be for! It is called Just Answer Canada Tax. Why would I be given to someone who doesn't know Canadian Tax Law?

I would like an answer to my question posted above please about whether or not I need to be paying tax on my Canadian earnings.

Expert:  Legal Ease replied 4 years ago.
I am not sure what happened but someone your question did get moved to the US tax list.

It is back on the Canada Tax list now and I am happy to assist you.

Are you an employee of the team or are you self-employed/independent contractor?

Have you severed all ties with Canada at this point?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for getting back to me. For the calendar year of 2012 I was not an employee of Softball Canada but was hired by them do work as a guest coach. I earned around $2000 plus some travel expenses.

I have been working in the US for 15 years. I am still a Canadian citizen and still have some modest investments in Canada from which tax is automatically taken off any gains they make.

I want to know if I should be submitting a Tax return to Canada.

Expert:  Legal Ease replied 4 years ago.
Have you been submitting returns in the past few years?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no I have not submitted any returns as the little bit of interest I gained on investments already had tax withheld.

I did get paid about $2000 from Softball Canada for some coaching I did last summer and was wondering if I would now need to submit a tax return

Expert:  Legal Ease replied 4 years ago.
If you are a non-resident of Canada for tax purposes you only need to file a tax return if you were employed by Softball Canada.

As you were not, so long as you are a non-resident for tax purposes you only declare this as income in the US and pay tax on this income in the US.

If you are still considered a resident for tax purposes then you have to file a return each year and declare your world-wide income but will not face double taxation because the tax treaty and the US protect you from double taxation. You would get a foreign tax credit if you paid tax on this income in the US.

Let me know if you need further clarification.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I finally got the answer I needed. I asked the question first on Feb. 22 and it took this long to get an answer. I rate the service as poor because of the amount of time it took.

Expert:  Legal Ease replied 4 years ago.
I answered you 1 hour after you replied to me.

The delay was because you waited over 8 days to reply to me.

The rating is not about the site. It's about me. If you are unhappy with the site you can tell them that but what you've just told them is that I am a poor expert.

I took one hour to write back on a Saturday night and in fact wrote back the moment I can online.

Your rating hurt my stats and now means I won't get paid.

So if it's not about me please rate me again as that is all the site is asking about for the rating. I will then get paid and my stats will be repaired.