How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Ease Your Own Question
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Category: Canada Tax
Satisfied Customers: 99987
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Tax Question Here...
Legal Ease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am Canadian citizen living and working in the U.S. with

This answer was rated:

I am Canadian citizen living and working in the U.S. with green card with my Canadian wife and 3 little kids. Do we still have to pay Canadian taxes if we net $120K?


I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your Canada Tax, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!


Have you severed all ties with Canada?

Do you have assets in Canada?

What did you do to your home?

Did you maintain membership in clubs?

Are you going up and back to maintain health coverage?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No assets in Canada. Never had a home, always a renter. No club memberships. I go occasionally to visit family.


That leads to another question. How much time I need to spend in Canada each year to maintain health coverage?

What province did you have health coverage in?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.


In Ontario you have to be in the province for it at least six months of the year in most cases to maintain health coverage through OHIP.

One of the main things the CRA looks at is health coverage. If you maintain OHIP coverage then you absolutely will have to file tax returns annually and be taxed on your income worldwide.

You will however get a foreign tax credit for any taxes paid in the US because the US and Canada have a tax treaty which will protect you from being doubly taxed.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am hardly staying one month a year. So, I don't have health coverage. Do I still have to pay any taxes?


Not if you've severed all ties what so ever with Canada.

Read this:

Legal Ease, Lawyer
Category: Canada Tax
Satisfied Customers: 99987
Experience: Lawyer
Legal Ease and other Canada Tax Specialists are ready to help you