Canada Tax

Canada Tax Questions Answered by Experts

Canada Tax

Two US personal income tax question, pls?If dad, mom and

Two US personal income tax...
Two US personal income tax question, pls?

If dad, mom and son (over 18) own a rental property (a house) jointly in USA, could the rental income be claimed by the son only?

A separate question:
If the Canadian wife divorced with the husband ( a US resident) in 2012 and comes back to Canada, they filed joint return in USA in 2011 and before, should the wife file US tax return in 2012 again if she doesn't have any income from USA except the alimony received from the husband who is still in USA?

Thanks
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/2/2013
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Rental income is claimed by the person who receives that income.
If rental income is receives by son's only - it is claimed by the son. If however - that income is received by all co-owners - each must claim his/her part of rental income and expenses.

If the Canadian wife divorced with the husband (a US resident) in 2012 and comes back to Canada, they filed joint return in USA in 2011 and before, should the wife file US tax return in 2012 again if she doesn't have any income from USA except the alimony received from the husband who is still in USA?
Alimony is taxable income in the US. The filing requirements are based on her total income.
However - please be aware that there is The US-Canada tax treaty - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-trty/canada.pdf - see page 24: 6. Alimony and other similar amounts (including child support payments) arising in a Contracting State and paid to a resident of the other Contracting State shall be taxable only in that other State, but the amount included in income for the purposes of taxation in that other State shall not exceed the amount that would be included in income in the first-mentioned State if the recipient were a resident thereof.
So - if the wife is a resident of Canada and not US citizen - alimony is not subject of US income taxes and filing the tax return is not required.

Thank you. Could you possible provide me some backup rules to have the person who receive the rent will report rental income, pls? I'm very satisfied with 2nd answer. Thanks again.

For US rules related to reporting rental income and rental expenses - see IRS publication 527 - www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p527.pdf

In general, under the anticipatory assignment of income doctrine, a taxpayer who earns or otherwise creates a right to receive income will be taxed on any gain realized from it, if the taxpayer has the right to receive the income or if, based on the realities and substance of the events, the receipt of the income is practically certain to occur
(i.e., whether the right basically has become a fixed right), even if the taxpayer transfers the right before receiving the income.
See for reference - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-wd/1148003.pdf
Ferguson v. Commissioner, 174 F.3d 997 (9th Cir. 1999); Jones v. United States, 531 F.2d 1343, 1346 (6th Cir. 1976); Kinsey v. Commissioner, 477 F.2d 1058, 1063 (2d Cir. 1973); Hudspeth v. United States, 471 F.2d 275, 280 (8th Cir. 1972); Estate of Applestein v. Commissioner, 80 T.C. 331 (1983); Lucas v. Earl, 281 U.S. 111 (1930).
By contrast, the mere anticipation or expectation of the receipt of income is insufficient to conclude that a fixed right to income exists. S.C. Johnson & Son, Inc. v. Commissioner, 63 T.C. 778, 787-88 (1975).

See also here - http://www.lawgame.net/pdf/dtax.pdf

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor