Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

If I pass away and have tax liabilities in Appeals

If I pass away and have tax liabilities in Appeals (tax shelter) with CRA, can my executor obtain a Clearance Certificate from CRA. If not, is there a limit of how long the estate will need to wait to obtain the certificate. Court proceedings on Appeals (particularly on tax shelters) can take years.

Please provide references that substantiate your answer.

Thanks,

Doug

I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your Canda Tax, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Lindie
It's not likely possible for the CRA to provide a tax clearance certificate if there is any possiblity that tax will be owing because the clearance certificate allows the executor to wind up the estate.

The estate will most likely be frozen until this is resolved unfortunately.

If there is much more money in the estate than can possibly be owing it may be possible to get confirmation from the Court that some of the funds can be released.

I am sorry you are concerned about this difficult situation.
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience: Lawyer