What is the "right to use the road" Ontario. I have bought…

What is the "right...

What is the "right to use the road"

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Ontario

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken so far?

I have bought property in Georgina, Ontario and at the time of purchase I was told that the private road is running through my property with one neighbour that lives past my house has the right to use the road in order to gain access to his property.Yesterday the same neighbour brought some heavy equipment and started cutting down all trees on both sides of the road and up to 6 feet away from the road claiming that that is part of his property. It's impossible for me to converse with him on the matter simply because I know nothing about the law surrounding such matter and township does not want to get involved claiming it's a private matter

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That's about all at this point

7/11/2018
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear this.

It is not his property. It is your property and he is permitted to use the road that runs through it to get access to his property.

I am sure he knows that but is taking advantage of the fact that you must bought the property.

I suggest that you have a lawyer send him a letter at once demanding that he cease and desist and that he compensate you to replace the trees cut down and threaten a lawsuit.

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Customer reply replied 11 days ago
who would be responsible for granting the right to use the road permision

It would be a registered easement on title.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?

Debra, Lawyer