I have a question about divorce. I am a permanent resident…

Customer Question
Hello! I have a...

Hello! I have a question about divorce. I am a permanent resident (through the family member (husband) sponsorship) and stay at home mom, my husband is canadian, our daughter is 15 months. Recently its not working at all(( I am wondering what rights do I have for the child. Thank you

Lawyer's Assistant: What province are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

British Columbia

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

None because my husband does not want to divorce

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have no work Our daughter has dual citizenship

Submitted: 10 days ago.Category: Canada Law
7/8/2018
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 10 days ago
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear of this difficult situation.

How long have you been married for?

Customer reply replied 10 days ago
4 years

Your immigration status has no relevance. You have the same rights as the father.

You will share equally in the value of all assets acquired during the marriage aside from gifts and inheritances.

You will share equally in the increase in value of any assets owned before you got married.

As you are financially dependent on your spouse now then he will likely have to provide spousal support for at least 2 years and possibly for.

If the child lives with you for at least 60% of the time the father will also have to pay you child support.

Your best next step, without a doubt, is to consult with a family lawyer face to face.

You can contact the BC Branch of the Canadian Bar Association and use their Lawyer Referral Service. You will be given the name of a lawyer and can consult with the lawyer and the first half hour will be $25.

The number is:
(###) ###-####or 1.***-***-****.

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.