Heĺlo, my husband had our wills drawn up in Fort Mc Murray…

Heĺlo, my husband...

Heĺlo, my husband had our wills drawn up in Fort Mc Murray in 2007, and we now live in BC. Do we need to go back to Alberta to have a codicil drawn up for our change of address.?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to an Alberta lawyer about this?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I spoke to a notary in BC and she does not do codicil.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, our wills remain the same except for addresses are different!

6/13/2018
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

You do not need a codicil for your Wills.

What you likely need are new Wills.

You at least need to have a lawyer in BC review your Wills because the law in BC with respect to estates is actually different than it is in most of the country.

You should not see a notary but should see an estate lawyer.

Does that help?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Debra, Lawyer
Thank you Debra, we will see a lawyer from BC.