Friday evening May 28, 2018 @ 8:30 pm I took a fall on the…

Customer Question
Good morning - Friday...

Good morning - Friday evening May 28, 2018 @ 8:30 pm I took a fall on the stairs outside my apartment building. These stairs have been in a deteriorating state since I moved into the building July 2016. I managed to get myself up and go up to my apartment. Since the incident I have had bruising and pain from my left ankle up the leg and into the middle of my back. Tuesday May 29, 2018 I went to the clinic and saw a doctor who had xrays taken - no breaks or fractures. He told me to keep icing that it would take a while for the pain to gradually ease. Do I have any legal recourse against the landlord?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

I am sorry - did not realize you are in the US. I am in Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed? If so, what?

I was told today I should have gotten a police report that evening. Public works here in Pointe Claire were advised and they took immediate action. The stairs are being repaired today. Other than that - nothing.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have been coming to work every day since the incident. I do not sleep well because of my back.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Canada Law
I have spoken with Marcus in your customer service department and cancelled my request - Marcus has updated my file. Thank you.
5/31/2018
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Who told you to get a police report?

Has the landlord offered any compensation?

My brother asked me if I got a police report. The morning of May 19 I texted the landlord have not heard from him or seen him since

There is no reason for the police to be called. There is no criminal law issue. You were not pushed. You fell. Your brother is not correct.

Your landlord is being very callous but also very foolish. They hope you go away. But they are insured for this and even if they are not they are liable to you for the harm you suffered which is a result of their negligence.

I suggest that you see a lawyer who will send them a demand letter, demanding compensation and threatening a lawsuit. They will hand the letter to their insurers and you will receive an offer.

Does that help?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

You deserve more than 5 stars thank u very much

You are very welcome.

Please be sure to rate me before you leave the site so that I can receive credit for my work. The stars are at the top of the page.

Thanks and take good care.